Friday 26 September 2008

16 - 18 September 2008: Itacare

Itacare has some stunning beaches and rainforest, but unfortunately it was the first place we felt unsafe and after falling in love with Arraial D´Ajuda I was a little disappointed. As soon as we arrived at the hostel we were warned not to go to certain areas after 4pm as they´re dangerous, especially for girls, and not to take anything valuable to the beaches with us at any point. That said we still had a great time, enjoying the area during the day and staying in at night chilling out in hammocks, cooking dinner and drinking cheap wine!

So... the beaches... they´re gorgeous! 5 bays all with white sand, palm trees, bright blue water and a back drop of tropical rainforest. The first 4 are easily accessible but you can only get to the 5th bay by trekking through the rainforest. I hadn´t planned on venturing that far but, after meeting some locals I was persuaded and found myself in the middle of the rainforest in a bikini, sarong and flip flops! Saw my first snake, balanced in logs to get over rivers and had a generally bizarre day! Also practiced capoeira on the beach and managed to get the BIGGEST bruise on my butt cheek when attemping, and failing to do a back flip!! Ow!!

So all in all we had a good time in Itacare. It´s not somewhere I´d necessarily come back to but has definately shown another side to Brazil and has made me more safety concious. Next stop Salvador...

No comments: