Thursday 18 December 2008

Adios South America... some final thoughts...

I know my blog is pretty delayed (about 1 1/2 months in fact... sorry!) but I just wanted to share with you a few things that were going through my head when I left South America. I really have fallen for the Latin American magic and to be honest didn't want to leave. Here are a few of my favourite things about South America...

...The painted signs. They don't waste money on elaborate shop fronts / signage, they just paint signs and adverts on walls or wood and then paint over them when they want to change. So simple!
...Colourful buildings. None of this boring white paint and brick!
...The way vehicles beep each other as they overtake - not in an aggresive "get out of my way you b@#$*ed" way but in a friendly "hi, thanks for letting me overtake" kind of way! How nice!
...Brazilian men!! Enough said, haha!!
...Dancing... anywhere anytime!
...The stunning and constantly changing landscape.
...Street sellers selling all array of goods.
...Llamas!!
...Cheap accomodation, food and drink... SOOOOO cheap!
...'South American Time' - different from anywhere else in the world and completely unpredictable!
...Random shops selling the oddest mixture of things... electrics, books and grocceries all together! We had hours of fun deciding what we would have in our 'combination' shops!
...Traditional clothes.
...Incan beliefs - They live by the rule 'don't lie, steal or be lazy'. Simple but classic!

And a few things that I was desperately looking forward to...

...Toilets with a seat, toilet paper and the ability to flush!
...Drinking tap water.
...A decentcup of tea with fresh milk. MILK... ahhhhhh... I'd almost forgotten what it was!
...Peanut butter. I'd give my right arm to have some peanut butter!
...Being sure that you're on the right bus / going the right way / ordering the right meal and not just having to guess!
...Using a currency without a million zero's after it!
...Plugging things into a wall without being electricuted in the process.

No comments: